Monday 20 June 2016

AS Coursework Evaluation


1. What practical tasks have out carried out so far?

Throughout my AS course, I have made 3 films:

My 1 minute copy


I  chose to make the films I did as they were pieces I would want to see, on top of this they are all relatively easy to make (eg. no special effects)

I was interested to use the themes I did as they were able to provide me with the opportunity to tell a good story in an effective way.


My Preliminary Task









My Main Task










2. What Did You Look For In Terms Of Influences?

We had several influences for our film, all of which being independent British Dramas. However, the most influential film was 'Nowhere Boy' which had a very similar plot to the one we were trying to create. We picked this film as an influence as it gave us a very clear goal and framework.

















3.What Technology Did You Use?

We used a wide array of technology in our film, including:

A Nikon DSLR camera with multiple lenses
An additional microphone
Adobe Premiere Pro
Tripod/monopod







We typically used the camera the most in our sequence, which is to be expected. My least favourite technology used is definitely Premiere Pro; it is an old piece of software which frequently broke.







4.What Have You Learned About Editing From Your Past Year?

I Have mainly learned that editing takes a long time; its not as simple as it looks. I have also learned how to go about editing text in order to fit the genre.














5. How did you use sound and lighting in your practical task?

I believe I used sound successfully in our practical task, for instance creating an original soundtrack for our film, as well as using sound effects appropriately. I also recorded a monologue of our main character to be placed in the film non-diegetically.  Although the diegetic speech didn't sound particularly nice as the microphone we used was of a low quality.





However lighting wasn't as successful. We didn't make full use of our school's lighting equipment, resulting in grainy footage.


6. How well did you use your blog to document your practical work and to cover the theory behind it?

I believe my blog consisted of lots of documentation of my practical work - with lots of behind the scenes photos. However I didn't use my blog very well in covering the theory.



7. What would you like to produce next year?

Next year, I really want to make a short film. This is because I have been watching short films since aged 11, and have always been interested in conveying a powerful narrative in a short time frame. While I would like to work in a group, very few others are interested in making a short film, and I am not so opposed to working on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment